THE AUTHOR OF THIS BLOG
Hello! My name is Sofía Pozuelo and I’m the author of this travel blog.
At a young age, it was clear to me that the world was too big to spend a lifetime in one place. There are so many cultures to discover, so many people to meet, so many foods to taste and so many beautiful places to visit. I have always been very curious to know what life was like in other places.
My love for traveling was planted in me when I was little. Every summer my family and I would take a car trip to different parts of France. Upon crossing the border, everything being in another language, people having a somewhat different appearance and seeing new landscapes, fascinated me.
During my childhood and adolescent years I traveled a lot in Spain and the rest of Europe. However, there is a date that became the climax in my life. I’ll explain.
Every summer night, I love going out on the balcony and looking at the stars. They are so bright and pretty. Looking at the stars makes me think about how beautiful the world is and how eager I am to get to know every corner. A few years ago, looking up at the stars, I felt a little sad because I thought “there are a ton of places I want to visit, yet here I am, another summer at home, missing the opportunity to do something great.”
I didn’t lack the desire to travel, I just didn’t know how I could do everything I wanted to do. This was the case until June 11, 2013, when at the age of 19, I boarded a flight to America. It was my first time traveling outside of Europe. I worked at a summer camp as a camp counselor in New York.
I had to face several fears. I was visiting a new continent alone and speaking in another language. However, the excitement and happiness that I felt as soon as I boarded that flight stuck with me for a long time.
This experience was the perfect opportunity to leave Europe for the first time, live with people from many parts of the world, get to know myself better and, most importantly, confirm that my passion was traveling. Since then I have not stopped traveling, nor do I want to stop.
HOW WAS COME AMA VIAJA BORN?
Many years ago I created a blog where I wrote sporadically about random experiences. I had no plan or goal with the blog. I was just doing it for entertainment.
I later began to write about my travel experiences, which was my passion back then. l didn’t take blogging very seriously until a few years later when I got a master’s degree in digital marketing.
After finishing my master’s degree, I began to publish more and more articles and started to see the possibility of making a living doing what made me the happiest. Around the same time, I started sharing my travel experiences on my Instagram account @sofiapozuelo.
Initially, I had other jobs in the meantime. However, at the end of 2018, I was generating a decent income with the website and decided to quit anything else that was taking up time during my day and became a full time blogger.
In September of 2018, I embarked on another amazing adventure: a solo trip through Southeast Asia. It was a very rewarding experience and helped my project a lot.
My goal with this travel blog is to motivate you to travel more and help you plan your adventures using my travel tips and travel guides.
20 THINGS ABOUT ME
If you want to know more about the person on the other side of the screen, here are 20 things about me.
- My hometown is Zaragoza but I have been living in the outskirts of Madrid since I was eleven years old.
- I have a degree in Journalism from the Complutense University of Madrid and also have a master’s degree in digital marketing.
- I studied a year abroad in a small French town called Lille. It was one of the best experiences in my life.
- I worked 3 consecutive years in New York as a camp counselor.
- My first trip in Spain was to El Puerto Santa Maria (Cádiz). Paris was my first trip outside of Spain.
- I have no idea where I want to live in the future.
- Some of my favorite places to visit are Peru, Galapagos, Bali, Vietnam and France.
- I love going on road trips. This is the way I fell in love with traveling so they are really special to me!
- I think traveling is the best investment you can make with your time and money. It gives you back so many things!
- I weighed 8.8 LBS when I was born. I was a fat little red ball.
- As a child I used to say “cocholate” instead of chocolate (chocolate in Spanish) and “cholconeta” instead of colchoneta (trampoline in Spanish). In fact, my parents took me to a speech therapist because it was difficult for me to pronounce many words correctly. I do not struggle with this issue any longer.
- I struggle to stay awake watching a movie at night. I always end up falling asleep.
- I can’t stand people not being punctual.
- My dream job, if I wasn’t a blogger, would be to travel with my own television network displaying each country’s gastronomy.
- Even if it’s 90°F outside, I need to cover at least my legs with the sheet in order to fall asleep.
- I talk a lot, although I need to feel comfortable around people to be myself.
- I can’t comprehend the idea of going to the movies and not ordering popcorn. I always purchase the biggest bowl.
- I have four tattoos.
- The small things in life make me happy: getting some sun, walking my dog, reading a good book, etc.
- I love waking up early.