Tips on where to stay in Mallorca
Before continuing with the best areas and hotels to stay in Mallorca, I recommend reading these first tips about hotels in Mallorca.
First of all, you should know that Mallorca is not a budget-friendly destination. However, if you are not traveling during high season, it is still possible to find affordable hotels in Mallorca. I recommend looking for a hotel in Mallorca as soon as you know the dates you wish to travel in. This will allow you to find the best deals.
You should also consider whether it is best to spend the entire trip at the same hotel or relocate every few nights or so. This will largely depend on the number of days you are going to spend on the island. If you decide to spend your entire stay in one place, I recommend choosing a hotel located in an area that is very well connected to the rest of the island.
Finally, you have to be clear about the purpose of your trip. Do you want to make a route around the whole island or do you want to stay in one area and enjoy peaceful days at the beach? Are you going to travel with children, as a couple or with friends? The ideal area will also depend on several factors, one of them being the activities you want to do.
Where to stay in Mallorca according to your type of trip
Below you can see which areas I recommend for each specific trip:
Best areas in Mallorca for couples
There are many perfect hotels for couples in Mallorca. You can find ideal hotels for a romantic trip in Mallorca. I always advise you to choose a hotel for adults only, so you don’t have to worry about having children running around and screaming. Nothing less romantic than that, right?
As for areas to stay in Mallorca for couples, I recommend Puerto de Soller. This coastal town in Sierra de Tramuntana is very charming and has perfect hotels for couples. I recommend Bikini Island & Mountain Port de Soller. It’s a hotel for adults only!
I’ve done my research for adult-only hotels in Mallorca and these are the most beautiful ones I’ve found (all perfect if you’re traveling as a couple!):
- Finca Es Llobets.
- Ses Cases de Fetget.
- Agroturismo Son Fogueró.
- Can Aulí Luxury Retreat.
- Sa Tanqueta De Fornalutx.
Best areas in Mallorca for families
Alcúdia is the best area to stay in Mallorca if you’re traveling with children. Look no further! Next to this municipality you will find extensive white-sand beaches with calm waters, which offer activities for all ages. You can stay in the historic center of Alcúdia or, if you want to be closer to the coast, in Puerto de Alcúdia.
Some of the best hotels in Mallorca to go with children are Hotel Ivory Playa Sports & Spa and Grupotel Natura Playa. Both are very close to the beach and have a swimming pool and family rooms. In addition, they offer entertainment for children and adults.
If you can’t find accommodation in Alcúdia, don’t worry, below I will recommend other areas that are good to stay in Mallorca with children.
Best areas for a beach holiday
If you are visiting Mallorca in search of the most beautiful coves on the island, I recommend staying in the municipality of Santanyí. Here you’ll find some of the best coves in Mallorca, such as Calo des Moro, s’Almunia cove and Llombards cove.
In this case, I recommend looking for hotels in the towns of Cala Llombards, Cala Santanyí or Cala Figuera. Being a very touristy area, hotels may be a bit expensive. If they happen to be outside your budget, take a look at hotels in Santanyí or its surroundings. In this part of the island, apart from hotels, you will find many villas and private houses.
If you want to stay in the Santanyí area, I recommend Hotel Nou Can Guillem, in Cala Figuera.
Best areas to engage in active tourism
If, apart from wanting to visit essential places on the island, you are interested in engaging in activities such as cycling or hiking, my recommendation is that you stay in Sierra de Tramuntana. In this area of Mallorca there are a lot of routes that you can do by road or trails in the middle of nature. You’ll love it!
Where to stay in Mallorca
I am now going to review the different locations on the island where it is advisable to look for hotels in Mallorca. I will highlight the advantages of staying at each place and the best hotels in Mallorca in that location.
1. Palma de Mallorca, good place to stay if you are renting a vehicle
Palma is a very good option to stay in Mallorca to visit the island. Apart from being a place that has numerous hotels and restaurants, it is also very well connected with the rest of Mallorca. This makes it a very good place to base yourself and make day trips to other parts of the island. During our trip, we spent several nights in the city and were very comfortable.
I especially recommend sleeping in Palma to those who are not going to rent a car. As I told you in my Mallorca travel guide, I recommend renting a car to visit the island, but if this is not possible, you will have to use public transportation. In this case, staying in Palma is recommended, as it is better connected by public transport with the rest of Mallorca.
Whether you stay in Palma or not, you should skip on visiting the city on your trip to the island. I recommend reading my guide about what to see in Palma de Mallorca in one day.
Hotel recommendations in Palma
I recommend looking for a hotel in the historic center of Palma or in the Santa Catalina neighborhood. If you are going to use Palma as a base to get to know the rest of the island by car, I recommend a hotel that has parking available.
- BQ Augusta. Affordable hotel in the outskirts of Palma with free parking.
- Ars Magna Bleisure. 4-star hotel in Palma with optional parking.
- AH Art Hotel Palma. Charming hotel in the center of Palma.
- Hotel Cappuccino. 5-star hotel with a rooftop pool, located in the center of Palma.
2. Colonia de Sant Jordi, for those who seek beaches and bike routes
Colonia de Sant Jordi is located in the southeast part of Mallorca. It is an old fishing port, which has now become one of the most popular destinations on the island. This town is located next to Es Trenc, the longest natural beach on the island and one of the main tourist attractions of the place.
In town you will find numerous restaurants and hotels to stay in. Just outside of town, you’ll find incredible coves of white sand and lots of vegetation. It also stands out for being a very popular destination among cyclists. The surroundings offer simple but charming routes.
Hotel recommendations in Colonia de Sant Jordi
- Hostal Doris. Great and affordable hotel in Colonia de Sant Jordi.
- Hotel Villa Chiquita. Charming hotel with pool and sea views.
- Agroturismo Ses Arenes. Rural house with pool located in the middle of the countryside and near the coast.
3. Santanyí and Cala Santanyí, some of the best areas to stay in Mallorca
In the Santanyí area you’ll find some of the most beautiful coves in Mallorca: Caló des Moro, s’Almunia cove, Llombards cove, etc. If you want to be able to enjoy these incredible coves with the utmost tranquility, it is best to stay near them, so you can be the first to arrive (without having to get up early) or the last to leave.
Cala Santanyí is a great option if you want to sleep in a hotel by the coast, to enjoy the incredible views of the sea. On the other hand, the same town of Santanyí is also a great option. During the night it is more lively, in addition, it is a little better connected.
Hotel recommendations in Santanyí and Cala Santanyí
- Hostal Palmaria. Room with a balcony and sea view.
- Hotel Apartamentos Cala Santanyi. Suites, apartments and studios in front of the beach.
- S’Hotelet de Santanyi. Charming B&B in the center of town.
4. Cala d’Or, a great place to stay in Mallorca
A great option to stay in Mallorca is Cala d’Or, as it has everything you need to spend a few pleasant days on vacation: a variety of hotels, beautiful coves and numerous bars and restaurants. In addition to many activities and a great atmosphere both day and night. We spent some days here and we had a very nice stay.
Cala d’Or is a good option for couples, friends and families. It offers plans for everyone! We stayed here for a couple of nights and loved the area.
Hotel recommendations in Cala d’Or
- Boutique Hostal Mistrall. Standard hotel with great reviews.
- INNER Hotel Rupit. Adults-only hotel with a pool.
- Agroturismo Finca Sa Tanca. Rural hotel with garden and pool.
5. Portocolom, a charming fishermen’s village
Another good option is Portocolom, a small fishing village that seems like it got stuck in time. You will not only love its picturesque historic center but also its surroundings. In them you will find numerous natural trails to walk and enjoy the surroundings, the beautiful Cala Marçal Beach and a beautiful natural cave with views of the Potocolom Lighthouse.
This little fishing village is one of the most attractive villages on the island, so whether you stay here or not, you should include it in your Mallorca itinerary.
Hotel recommendations in Portocolom
- Sa Plana Nova. Charming apartments with private kitchen on the outskirts of Portocolom.
- Es Varadero. Unique 2-bedroom apartment with a terrace with beautiful sea views.
- Agroturisme Ca’n Gaia. Beautiful rural hotel located on the outskirts of Portocolom with a swimming pool and barbecue area.
6. Cala Millor, where to stay in Mallorca for families
Cala Millor is another good area to book hotels in Mallorca. It is located on the east coast of the island. Cala Millor is a perfect destination for those traveling as a couple or with family, since, despite being a quiet place, it offers numerous activities, both in water and on land. Although if there is something that should be highlighted in Cala Millor, it is, of course, its beaches.
Hotel recommendations in Cala Millor
- Hipotels Bahia Cala Millor. Beachfront hotel with pool, spa, gym, and restaurant.
- Kyrat Amarac. Adults-only hotel with swimming pool and incredible sea views.
7. Cala Ratjada, peace and nightlife
Cala Ratjada is a destination that offers a mix of relaxed atmosphere during the day with an attractive nightlife. If you want to spend moments of relaxation and make more lively plans at night, this town located in the northeast of the island can be a great option. Apart from being very well connected, the surroundings have wonderful coves, such as Cala Agulla or Cala Mesquida.
Hotel recommendations in Cala Ratjada
- Hotel Capricho. Affordable hotel with a pool locates in Cala Ratjada.
- The Place. Adults-only hotel located in the city center with pool on the terrace.
- Grupotel Aguait Resort. Adults-only hotel with sea views, restaurant, pool and spa.
8. Alcúdia, one of the best areas to stay in Mallorca
Alcúdia is a town located in northern Mallorca. Apart from being one of the most beautiful towns on the island, it is one of people’s favorite places to sleep in Mallorca. You can enjoy a very warm and welcoming atmosphere in the historic center. The area is full of restaurants, shops and places to visit.
On the other hand, next to Port of Alcúdia, you will find an extensive beach with turquoise water and white sand, which allows you to engage in all kinds of water activities and boat trips. Port of Alcúdia is a very popular area to stay in Mallorca if you travel with children, since the beach has all the necessary facilities and all kinds of entertainment for them.
Hotel recommendations in Alcúdia
- Cas Ferrer Nou Hotelet. Small 4-star hotel located in the center of town.
- Hotel Ivory Playa Sports & Spa. Hotel with swimming pool and special events, perfect to go with children.
- VIVA Golf +18. Hotel for adults only with swimming pool and restaurants, located in front of the beach.
9. Puerto de Pollença, perfect for families
Near Alcúdia, you can visit Puerto de Pollença, another good place to stay in Mallorca if you’re traveling with family, especially with older children. This old fishing village has become another of the island’s tourist centers. Staying in Puerto de Pollença will allow you to enjoy days at the beach and nature walks in its surroundings. There is also the possibility of doing many water sports.
On the boardwalk along the bay you will find numerous bars, restaurants and shops. In addition, you will be very close to Formentor, a cape full of coves, viewpoints and the famous Formentor Lighthouse, a very beautiful place to watch the sunset.
Hotel recommendations in Puerto de Pollença
- Hoposa Bahia. Located in front of the beach, it has a restaurant with sea views.
- La Goleta Hotel de Mar. Hotel for adults only with swimming pool and sea views.
10. Puerto de Sóller, peace and nature
Puerto de Sóller is one of the best places to look for a hotel in Mallorca if you want to stay in a place full of charm. It is a good destination for special occasions or for those looking to have a very quiet stay. Puerto de Sóller is a beautiful coastal town located in Sierra de Tramuntana. It has a beach, numerous bars and restaurants, and the possibility of going hiking on one of its many trails.
Not only will you be close to the sea and mountains, but you will also be able to visit the most beautiful towns in Mallorca without traveling far, such as Sóller, Deià, Valldemossa or Fornalutx. In Port of Sóller you can also see the famous old train that travels every day from Sóller. Another popular place is Punta de Sa Creu Lighthouse.
Hotel recommendations in Puerto de Sóller
- Hotel Esplendido. Nice charming hotel with beautiful sea views.
- Jumeirah Port Soller. Wonderful luxury hotel in Mallorca with an infinity pool.
- Agroturismo Muleta de Ca S’hereu. Beautiful hotel with a pool and incredible views located on a farm on the outskirts of Puerto de Soller.
11. Magaluf, where to stay in Mallorca for nightlife
For many travelers, Magaluf is a bad option to stay in Mallorca. However, if you are going on a trip with friends looking for a beach and partying, Magaluf may be a good idea. Magaluf is located about 20 minutes by car from Palma. It is a very popular place among younger foreign tourists.
Hotel recommendations in Magaluf
- Sol House The Studio. Hotel with two swimming pools, bar, restaurant and gym.
- NNSiDE Calviá Beach. Rooms and studios with four swimming pools, one of them suspended with a glass bottom.
12. Portals Nous, best area to stay in Mallorca for a luxury gateaway
Portals Nous belongs to the municipality of Calvià, a place where you will also find beautiful coves with crystal clear water. This town stands out for its renowned marina, called Puerto Portals, and its luxurious residential houses. If you are looking to stay in an exclusive environment where you can have access to any luxury, Portals Nous is a great option. In addition, it is only 15 minutes by car from Palma.
Hotel recommendations in Portals Nous
- Portals Hills. Luxury hotel with pool and sea views
- The St. Regis Mardavall. Resort with pool, spa, golf course, bar and restaurant.
Map of where to stay in Mallorca
In the following map of Mallorca, I have marked all the locations where I recommend staying in Mallorca. Moreover, I have indicated all the hotels that I mention in the post, with their respective links to Booking. In this way, you can see at a glance which is the area that suits you best in your case.
If you are going to travel to more parts of the country, take a look at my Spain travel guide.
I hope that this article on where to stay in Mallorca has been very useful to you in organizing your trip to this incredible island and, above all, in finding the best accommodation in Mallorca for you. If you have any question or contribution, do not hesitate to leave a comment or write me by email. Until next time, travelers!