The 7 best areas to stay in Lanzarote, Canary Islands
In this map, I’ve pointed the best towns to stay in Lanzarote. In this way, you can get a brief idea about the different areas of the island. Below I’ll explain in detail what you will find in each of these locations.
1. Teguise Coast, where to stay in Lanzarote
If it’s your first time visiting Lanzarote, I recommend staying in Costa Teguise. On our first and only trip to the island, we decided to book a hotel in this part of the Lanzarote and we couldn’t be happier with our decision .
Teguise Coast is a touristic town located on the eastern coast of Lanzarote, 7 kilometers from Arrecife, capital of Lanzarote. It is only 15 kilometers from the airport. Then main highway which crosses the entire island from north to south is also very close to Teguise Coast which means you’ll be well located to visit other parts of the island.
It is a fairly quiet town, ideal for families with children and for couples who prefer a more relaxed vibe. Nonetheless, Costa Teguise has a wide variety of cafes and restaurants. You will also have access to good beaches and different activities like windsurfing and golf.
There is a total of 4 beaches in Teguise Coast: Bastian Beach, Jablillo Beach, Cucharas Beach and Charcos Beach.
The only beach we visited during our visit was Jablillo Beach, we loved it! I highly recommend going. During the day there it’s quite crowded. There are many families with children, but if you go early in the morning or before sunset, you can enjoy it peacefully. If you like snorkeling, I recommend taking your diving goggles with you. You will be able to see many fish!
Some of the best restaurants in Teguise Coast are Beach Bar Luca, Taberna El Bocadito and SeBE. Two of the most popular breakfast spots are Olga’s Cafe and Bonbon Cafe. We went to Bonbon Cafe a few times and we liked it a lot. If you want to have good pizza, I recommend paying Trattoria San Marco a visit.
Best hotels in Teguise Coast:
– Low budget: Oceano Apartments. Adults only. This accommodation is located in the heart of Teguise Coast, near Jablillo Beach. The apartments are simple but have everything you need to have a pleasant stay. There is a swimming pool, terrace and gym.
– Average budget: Conylanza Golf and Mar Suites. We stayed here. We were in a one-bedroom apartment with a living room, kitchen, bathroom and terrace. There was a pool in the common area. It is located in a very quiet street in Teguise Coast. Parking on the street was always available, right in front of the house. I recommend it!
– High budget: Alava Suites. These apartments are located on the outskirts of Teguise Coast, in a very beautiful part of the island. They stand out for being well-decorated. The accommodation has parking and swimming pool. In addition, according to people’s reviews, they offer very good breakfast.
2. Playa Blanca, where to stay in Lanzarote if you want to be near a beach
The town of Playa Blanca is a favorite among tourists when it comes to places to stay in Lanzarote. It is located at the southern end of the island. It is the area that I most recommend if you want to spend a few days relaxing by the sea, as several of the best beaches in Lanzarote are located nearby.
Papagayo Beach and Mujeres are among the several beaches located in this part of Lanzarote. Both are highly recommended for bathing. They are part of a nature reserve, therefore, you have to pay an entrance fee to access them (if go by car). The price is €3. If you go after 5:00 p.m., entrance is free.
There are many other beaches near Playa Blanca to which access is free. One of them is Playa Flamingo. Los Charcones are also very close, some beautiful natural pools where you can bathe while enjoying a beautiful landscape.
Playa Blanca has become the third touristic center of Lanzarote. Apart from beautiful nature, the town has numerous bars, restaurants, shops and a beautiful historic center. All this makes it one of the best places to stay in Lanzarote, especially for families.
If you decide to stay in Playa Blanca, you will be close to places like Timanfaya National Park, Los Hervideros, La Geria, Janubio Beach and Charco de los Clicos. You can also take a ferry to Fuerteventura from Playa Blanca.
Where to stay in Lanzarote: Playa Blanca
– Low budget: Loft La ISLA. Small apartment which measures 26 m² located on the outskirts of Playa Blanca. It has a bedroom, a bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen and a patio. It is very cozy, ideal for couples.
– Average budget: Jardines del Sol By Diamond Resorts. This hotel is located 10 minutes (walk) away from the beach. The apartments are well-equipped which included villas with up to 4 bedrooms. There is free private parking, a shared swimming pool, gardens and a children’s playground.
– High budget: La Cala Suites Hotel. It is a 5-star hotel in Lanzarote for adults only. Due to this, it is a perfect option for people who want to be in a very calm environment. It is located on the coast, so you can take a good swim in the pool while enjoying the sea views. There is also a restaurant, bar, spa, fitness center and free parking.
3. Famara, where to stay in Lanzarote if you like water sports
Famara Beach is one of Lanzarote’s main tourist attractions. Near the beach, you will find the town of Caleta de Famara and the Famara urbanization. Both are ideal places to stay in Lanzarote if you like water sports. Thanks to the wind and the waves, you can enjoy good sessions of surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, etc.
Even if your intention is not to do water sports, it is still a good area to stay in, since the natural environment is simply spectacular. Famara Beach is probably one of the wildest and most spectacular beaches I have ever seen. The sea on one side and the cliffs on the other… What more could you ask for?
As you can imagine, one of the best things to do if you stay in this town is going to the beach, especially at sunset. You can take a walk, go for a swim on the shore, have a picnic, lie on the sand… It is impossible not to enjoy this place. You can also go to San Juan Beach.
On the other hand, in Caleta de Famara, you will find a good variety of bars and restaurants. We had dinner a couple of times at La Mar Café. The food is delicious but the service is a bit slow. I also recommend El Sibarita and Dunas de Famara Restaurant.
Famara is located on the northwest coast of Lanzarote. Famara is not too far from places like Teguise, the Risco de Famara viewpoints, Cueva de las Cabras, Haría or the Lagomar Museum.
Best hotels in Famara, where to stay in Lanzarote
– Low budget: Inma Apartment. 70 m² accommodation located in Caleta de Famara. It has two bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with two single beds. It is basic but has everything you need to have a pleasant stay.
– Average budget: Dunas de Famara. This apartment is located in a residential neighborhood in Caleta de Famara, just 3 minutes walk from the beach and 5 minutes from the town center. It has 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, living room and patio with sea views.
– High budget: Casa Marquesa. Private villa of 160 m² located 5 minutes walk from the beach. It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, terrace and a garden with a private heated pool. It also has parking.
4. Haría, one of the most beautiful towns where to stay in Lanzarote
If you rather stay in the interior of the island, I recommend staying in Haría, one of the most beautiful villages in Lanzarote. Haria is located in a valley surrounded by mountains and green areas. It is full of white houses, palm trees and colorful flowers. It is a real beauty. In addition, although during the day there are a good number of visitors, at night it is a very quiet place.
Haría is located in the northern part of Lanzarote. One of its great tourist attractions César Manrique Museum. I also really liked León and Castillo Plaza, an ideal place to rest, since it has huge laurels and eucalyptus trees that provide shade. In the square there is a craft market held every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Also do not miss Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation and the Hermitage of Saint John the Baptist.
This town is also a great option to stay in Lanzarote for those who like hiking. There are several hiking trails that lead through the surroundings which provide beautiful landscapes.
If you base yourself in this town, you will be close to the Corona Volcano, the Risco de Famara Viewpoint, Arrieta, Rio Viewpoint, Jameos del Agua, Caletón Blanco Beach, etc.
Best hotels in Haria
– Low budget: Casa Valle de Palmeras. It is a small 50 m² house with a bedroom, a bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen, a dining area and a patio with a barbecue. It is simple but very cozy, ideal for couples.
– Average budget: Villa Rural Gloria’s. If you want to enjoy a rural experience and the peace it offers, this villa located on the outskirts of Haría is a wonderful option. It is a charmingly decorated multi-bedroom house. It also has a garden with a terrace and barbecue area, among other spaces.
– High budget: Hotel Emblemático La Casa de los Naranjos. This is a 4-star hotel located in Haría. If you want to stay in a place full of charm and great service, this accommodation is a great option. They offer double and quadruple rooms. All of them are classically decorated with wooden details.
5. Arrieta, a charming fishermen’s village
Staying in Lanzarote near the sea is the preferred option for most visitors. A perfect place to do it is Arrieta. This town is located on the northeast coast of the island. It is a small fishing village with a very quiet and friendly atmosphere.
The main tourist attraction in Arrieta is La Garita Beach which measures 800 meters long. It is a beach very frequently visited by surf lovers, therefore, if you are going to Lanzarote with the intention of surfing, you cannot miss it. To one side of it you’ll find Muelle de la Garita, where it is possible to see a few fishermen casting their fishing rod.
Whether you stay here or visit Arrieta for lunch or dinner, you have to try some fish in one of the restaurants located by the sea. How cool does that sound? I recommend Bar Cafeteria El Pisquito.
Just 5 minutes north of Arrieta, you will find Punta Mujeres. This town is known for its natural pools, ideal for bathing in calm waters. From Arrieta, you can also get to Cueva de los Verdes and the Jameos del Agua very quickly. They are two of the main tourist attractions in Lanzarote.
Where to stay in Lanzarote: Arrieta
– Average budget: Casa Gaviota. Charming house located just a minute’s walk from the beach. It has two bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, living room, bathroom and terrace. It has a very cozy decoration.
– High budget: Casita Verde. It’s a 130 m² villa located on the outskirts of Arrieta. It has a mix of white color on the walls with details in wood. The exterior of the house stands out for the stones that form the facades and walls. It has two bedrooms, an equipped kitchen, a living room, a dining area and a garden with sea views. They provide bikes.
6. Orzola, where to stay in Lanzarote if you want to disconnect
Órzola is the northernmost town in Lanzarote. It may sound familiar to you as it is the town where ferries depart to La Graciosa. If you decide to stay here, you will only be 25 minutes away by boat from this incredible island, where you can go to spend the day or even spend the night.
It is a very peaceful fishing village. If you visit Lanzarote in seeking peace and wild beaches, it is a very good place to establish your base. Although I must warn you that the aren’t many hotels and restaurants like other places where I recommend staying in Lanzarote.
Do not forget to visit Cantería Beach, located right next to Orzola. It is frequently visited by surf enthusiast. If you are going to swim, be careful, because sometimes the currents are too strong. On the other hand, if the tide is low, it is possible to access a second cove and a cave. From Orzola you will also be very close to the Caletón Blanco and Caleta del Mojón Blanco beaches. Both beaches are ideal for snorkeling and going with children.
Where to stay in Orzola:
Average budget: Tabaibita. This is a 67m² apartment with two bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with two single beds. In addition, it has a fully equipped kitchen, a bathroom, a dining area and a balcony with sea views. There is free public parking near the establishment.
7. Puerto del Carmen, party area in Lanzarote
I have decided to include Puerto del Carmen last place, despite being a very popular area to stay in Lanzarote, it would not be one of my main options. However, this is not the case for many international tourists, who do decide to stay in this part of the island.
Puerto del Carmen is located 15km south of Arrecife and only 10km from the airport. It is one of the best places to stay if you are interested in nightlife, as there are many bars and clubs. Therefore, if you are looking to liven up your trip to Lanzarote with a bit of partying, Puerto del Carmen is your place.
Another plus if you decide to stay in Puerto del Carmen is that you will find a wide range of hotels, resorts, apartments, villas… You will have many options to choose from. In addition, you will always be a few steps from the beach. Do not forget to visit Playa Chica, Playa Grande and Playa de los Pocillos.
Best hotels in Puerto del Carmen
– Medium budget: Club del Carmen By Diamond Resorts. Great option if you travel with family or groups of friends of up to 6 people. They offer apartments with a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, seating area and a small terrace. In the common area there is a large pool, hot tub, bar-restaurant, pool table and ping-pong table.
– High budget: Hotel Fariones. A 5-star hotel located next to the coast. This hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels in Lanzarote. It has tropical gardens, infinity pools, 4 restaurants, tennis court and sauna. It is an ideal option if you are looking to spend a few days relaxing during your trip to Lanzarote.
I hope this article about the best paces to stay in Lanzarote has been informative and useful for you in planning your next trip to the Canary Islands. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment down below or email me. Till the next one, travelers!