Is it mandatory to have medical insurance to travel to Spain?
No. Although some countries require travel insurance to enter the country, Spain is not one of them. However, I recommend that you check the latest news from the Spanish authorities to make sure that insurance is not mandatory before traveling to Spain.
Although it is not mandatory to have travel insurance when visiting Spain, it is still recommended.
If something unfortunate happens to you while visiting a location where you don’t have medical insurance, your trip will be ruined, and you’ll also be responsible for any related expenses. The cost of the treatment you need can vary greatly depending on your location.
If you are reading this post, you likely need travel insurance but have doubts about which company to purchase a policy from. I recommend Heymondo, an insurance company that I have used for years and that I always recommend. As a reader of this blog, you can take advantage of a 5% discount.
Why purchase travel insurance for Spain
I want to start by explaining why it is crucial to purchase this kind of insurance if you are traveling to Spain.
Like all insurance, travel insurance is designed to protect against unexpected and sudden risks. Unfortunately, accidents can occur anywhere and at any moment. In addition, anyone can experience poor luck. If you invest in travel insurance, you will have invested in your health and safety. You can also save a significant amount of money if you ever need to use it.
Traveling with insurance is one of the best tips for traveling to Spain that I can give you. Here are all the reasons why:
- Medical coverage. In case you get sick, in case you have an accident, in case you get Covid-19… This coverage is the main reason why you should purchase travel insurance for Spain.
- Early return. If you have to return to your country of origin for certain reasons (death of a relative or serious hospitalization, serious damage to your professional premises or home, etc.), the insurance will cover the early return.
- Trip cancellation. When purchasing travel insurance, there is sometimes the possibility of including cancellation insurance. This means that the insurance will pay you the money invested in the trip that you cannot reimburse, as long as the reason for cancellation is one of those included in the policy.
- Damage to baggage. If your checked baggage is lost, drastically damaged or stolen, the insurance will pay you financial compensation. You may also receive compensation if there is a long delay in the delivery of your luggage.
- Legal and civil assistance. If you need legal assistance or involuntarily cause bodily injury or material damage to third parties, the insurance will cover the expenses.
- Displacement of a family member. If you have to be hospitalized for more than 5 days and you do not have any family member with you, the insurance will cover the travel expenses of a family member to your destination.
Best travel insurance for Spain
As I previously stated, Heymondo is the company I have been using for the past few years, the one I trust and always suggest. That being said, I will compare the different policies from four of the biggest insurers. Heymondo, Iati, World Nomads and Safety Wing You can see which is the cheapest, which covers the most, and which is the best travel insurance for Spain.
I looked for travel insurance for Spain for 2 weeks in order to create this table. I have contrasted each company’s basic travel insurance. The end result is the following:
|HEYMONDO||WORLD NOMADS||IATI||SAFETY WING|
|Price||$80.48||$78.02||$58.62||$22.50 ($250 deductible)|
|Luggage Damage||$1,200||$1,000||$1,000||Up to $3,000|
|Repatriation of Remains||$100,000||$300,000||100%||N/A|
|Trip Delay||$300||$500||$180||Up to $100 a day|
|COVID-19 Coverage||YES||Not completely||YES||YES|
As you can see in the table, Heymondo offers one of the most affordable insurance policies for Spain and, at the same time, the best coverage for the price.
Below, you can read other reasons why I believe Heymondo is the best travel insurance for Spain:
- Value for money. Heymondo is one of the best travel insurances on the market, as it is one of the cheapest and, at the same time, the one that offers the best services and coverage. Their policies have very good coverage at an affordable price.
- 24-hour medical attention. Something that I love about Heymondo and that I always highlight is that they offer a medical chat, which allows you to talk to a doctor or pediatrician 24 hours a day. This has come in handy when I’ve had questions about my health while traveling.
- Heymondo App. When you purchase a Hymondo travel insurance policy, you will be able to download an app that the company makes available to all its clients. Thanks to the app, you will be able to make calls to the insurance company using WiFi (without the need to have a card in your cell phone that allows you to make calls), check your policy’s details, manage any incident, or talk to a doctor or pediatrician.
- COVID-19 coverage. If you are looking for travel insurance for Spain that covers COVID-19-related incidents, Heymondo is a great option. If, during your trip to Spain, you contract the virus and need medical attention, the insurance will cover all expenses. They will also cover the cost if you have to extend your hotel stay due to medical quarantine.
- Return policy. Another point in favor of this company is that if, for whatever reason, you cannot make your trip and you have purchased an insurance policy, you will be able to get your money back.
- No money upfront. Some companies make you pay in advance and then reimburse you. Heymondo will pay directly so that you don’t have to pay anything out of pocket. If something happens to you, make sure you call the company first so they can tell you which center to go to and do all the paperwork for you.
All these features make Heymondo the best travel insurance for Spain on the market.
How much does travel insurance for Spain cost?
Now that you know which is the best company to insure your adventure in Spain, it is time to see which policy is most appropriate for you and its price.
In the following table, you can see the price of the different international travel insurance policies for Spain offered by Heymondo, depending on the duration of the trip: 7, 10, 14, or 21 days.
|Heymondo Top||Heymondo Premium||Heymondo Medical|
These rates already include my 5% Heymondo promo code.
💰 If you make several trips a year, it may be worthwhile purchasing annual travel insurance, which will cover you for all the trips you make during the year. Before purchasing, you should consider whether or not it is in your interest to have multi-trip insurance.
Which Heymondo policy do I recommend?
Heymondo offers three types of policies: “peace of mind travel”, “top travel”, and “premium travel”. Each one offers different coverage; therefore, the price also varies. In the following table, you can see what each policy includes:
|Heymondo Top||Heymondo Premium||Heymondo Medical|
|Cancellation & Interruption||$3,500||$7,000||–|
You may now be wondering which travel insurance for Spain should you choose. Below I give you my opinion but you should always think about your personal situation and the activities you are going to do in the destination.
In this scenario, I consider the “Heymondo Top” to be sufficient for Spain, as it has very good medical coverage. If you want to be covered for adventure sports, then I would recommend adding it during the checkout process.
Vaccines for Spain
There are no mandatory vaccinations for travel to Spain. They do recommend, regardless of where you are going, having the tetanus vaccine and the MMR vaccine. Another vaccine recommended is hepatitis A. There are other vaccines recommended according to the clinical characteristics of the traveler.
Is it safe to travel to Spain?
Is Spain safe for travel? The quick answer is yes. In principle, you shouldn’t have any problems during your trip. Spain is one of the safest countries in Europe for travelers because violent crime is quite rare there. However, crimes can occur anywhere. If it does happen when you’re traveling in Spain, it will probably happen in one of the cities, especially close to the popular tourist attractions.
There are pickpockets in most major cities in Spain, like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Valencia, etc., very much like in any major European city. Therefore, if you want to travel to any of these places, exercise extreme caution.
Some basic safety tips are to:
- Be careful in congested locations and on public transportation.
- Use common sense
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash
- Be particularly careful when using ATMs
- Avoid solicitors in tourist areas.
Places to visit in Spain
Spain is a country with an intriguing history, breathtaking natural beauty, and a lively culture. Here are some of the best places to visit in Spain.
Although Spain is a relatively small country, there are countless places to visit. Unless you are spending months in the country, it’s very hard to visit every single city and place. That being said, if you travel to Spain, I recommend visiting the capital of the country, Madrid. You’ll enjoy visiting places like the Prado Museum, El Retiro Park, Gran Via, the Royal Palace of Madrid, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Temple of Debod, San Miguel Market, among many others. Interested in knowing about the best hotels in the city, read my post about the best luxury hotels in Madrid.
If you are traveling to Spain, you are likely visiting Barcelona. If you visit the city, don’t miss places like Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, Park Guell, the Gothic Quarter, Casa Batllo, Barceloneta Beach and Montserrat, a gorgeous mountain range with breathtaking views, hiking routes, and a well-known monastery situated not far from Barcelona. It’s a wonderful place to visit for a day trip from the city.
Other places worth visiting are:
San Sebastian: a charming seaside town in the Basque Country, renowned for its lovely beaches, delicious food, and rich cultural heritage.
Granada: a city in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains known for its magnificent Alhambra palace, lovely gardens, and diverse culture.
Seville: a Spanish city with breathtaking architecture, lovely gardens, and mouthwatering cuisine.
Santiago de Compostela: a city in northwest Spain that is renowned for its magnificent cathedral, lovely gardens, and extensive cultural history. If you decide to visit, don’t miss my post where I review the best places to stay in Santiago de Compostela.
Costa del Sol: a magnificent coastal location in southern Spain that is well-known for its exquisite cuisine, gorgeous golf courses, and breathtaking beaches.
I recommend reading my Spain travel guide to discover all my tips about this beautiful country.
I hope this post about the best travel insurance for Spain has been very useful for you to plan your trip. If you have any other questions, I encourage you to leave a comment or email me, see you next time traveler!