Where to stay in Zaragoza, Spain
Ready to discover the best places to stay in Zaragoza? Let’s get started!
1. Old town, near the main tourist attractions
The old town is the best option, although not the cheapest; therefore, we’ll look at other parts of the city that are also excellent choices. If you stay in the historic center, you will be in the most traditional part of the city and very close to the best places to visit in Zaragoza. You will be able to reach all of them within a few minutes walk.
Here you will find the famous Plaza del Pilar with the incredible Basilica del Pilar, the most important monument of the city. Plaza del Pilar is a good place to stroll around and have a drink. If you are traveling with family and children, you can relax on one of the terraces while the kids play in the square.
Just around the Plaza del Pilar, you have the Ebro River and the Puente de Piedra (Stone Bridge), a good place to watch the sunset. Other places of interest in this area are the Roman ruins. Among all of them, the Theater Museum of Caesaraugusta stands out. Be sure to visit it.
If you enjoy a city’s gastronomy when you travel, in El Tubo (a network of narrow streets in the old part of the city) you can taste the best tapas in all of Zaragoza. Strolling around here, both day and night, tasting the gastronomy of the city is one of the best things to do.
Whether or not you are staying in this part of the city, do not miss this walking tour in the Old Town of Zaragoza. This is one of the best guided tours in the city.
In conclusion, it is the best option because you will be in the heart of the city, there are many places to visit within walking distance, many options to eat and it is an area with a lot of charm.
Recommended hotels in the old town
Some of the best hotels in Zaragoza can be found in this section. Below you can see several hotel recommendations in the historic center based on ratings and reviews:
- $: The Botanic Hostel. Hostel located 10 minutes walk from the Basilica del Pilar. It has double rooms and shared rooms (mixed and for women only), all with air conditioning. It offers buffet breakfast included. It has a kitchen and dining area. Booking score: 8.6/10.
- $$: Hotel Inca. Accommodation with very good location, just 100 meters from the Plaza del Pilar. They offer single, double and triple rooms. The rooms are simple and functional. Booking score: 8.8/10.
- $$$: Hotel Sauce. Located 50 meters from the Basilica del Pilar. It has parking. They offer single, double and family rooms. They prepare a homemade buffet breakfast. Booking score: 9/10.
- $$$$: Catalonia El Pilar. 4 star hotel located 2 minutes walk from the Pilar. The hotel is housed in a modernist building from the early 20th century. It has a restaurant and gym. They offer double and triple rooms. Booking score: 8.9/10.
- $$$$: NH Ciudad de Zaragoza. A 4-star hotel located 300 meters from the Basilica del Pilar. It offers single, double and family rooms, some with views of the Ebro or the Pilar. It has a gym and restaurant. Booking score: 8.6/10.
2. City Center, another great area to stay in Zaragoza
The city center is the second best option to stay in Zaragoza. As its name suggests, it is located in the middle of the city. From here you can walk to all the must-see places in the city. It is a more modern and commercial area, where you will find an array of international restaurants and stores.
The busiest and most representative point of the center is the Paseo de la Independencia, a promenade that runs from Plaza Aragon to Plaza de España. The whole avenue and its surroundings are a great option to stay in Zaragoza. You will also be close to the Basilica of Santa Engracia, the Patio de la Infanta, the Plaza de los Sitios, the Museum of Zaragoza and the Puerta del Carmen.
In short, it is a good option because it is a very central area, you will be next to the old town and there are many places to eat and go out.
Recommended hotels in the center of Zaragoza
I recommend several hotels located in the center of Zaragoza according to rating, opinions and budget:
- $: Pension La Estrella. Humble hotel located 15 minutes walk from the historic center. It has single, double and triple rooms. Some rooms have private bathrooms and others have shared bathrooms. Casual and cheerful decoration. Booking score: 8.1/10.
- $$: NH Sport. A 3-star hotel with private parking. Located 20 minutes walk from the Plaza de España. It offers single and double rooms. Buffet breakfast is available. Booking score: 8.1/10.
- $$$: NH Collection Gran Hotel de Zaragoza. A 4-star hotel located near the Paseo de la Independencia. It is housed in a historic building. It has a restaurant, gym and sauna. They offer superior double, premium double and junior suite rooms. Booking score: 8.6/10.
3. Romareda-University, ideal for families with children.
Based on this area’s name, you will know that here you will find the Romareda, Real Zaragoza’s soccer stadium, and the University of Zaragoza.
In my opinion, it is a very good area to sleep, especially for families with small children, as it is a quieter place, is well connected to the center by bus and streetcar, and is home to the Parque Grande José Antonio Labordeta. It is the largest park in the city and a great place for a nice walk.
In conclusion, it is a good option because it is a quiet area and is very well connected to the center. I recommend it especially if you are going to spend a minimum of 2 full days in Zaragoza.
Recommended hotels in Romareda
Below I recommend several hotels in this area of Zaragoza according to price, rating and reviews:
- $: Pension Corona. Humble hotel located 15 minutes walk from Paseo de la Independencia. They offer double or triple rooms, some with private bathrooms and others with shared bathrooms. In all of them you can put an extra bed. Booking score: 7.9/10.
- $$: Ilunion Romareda. 4-star hotel located right next to the Romareda soccer stadium. It is a 30-minute walk from the Paseo de la Independencia. Most rooms are spacious and have a terrace. Booking score: 8.5/10.
- $$$. Hotel Reina Petronila. 5-star hotel located 34 mins walk from Paseo de la Independencia. Features spa, indoor pool and fitness area. It also has a bar and business center. They offer double rooms, family rooms and a junior suite. Booking score: 8.8/10.
Map of where to stay in Zaragoza
In the following map, I have pointed out the different areas and hotels to sleep in Zaragoza that I have recommended throughout this article.
If you haven’t found a hotel that suits your tastes and needs in any of these areas, you can also look in Delicias or Arrabal. Delicias is a residential neighborhood located west of the center. If you stay here, I recommend staying in the part closest to the center. Arrabal is the neighborhood located in front of the Basilica del Pilar across the Ebro River.
On another note, if you have enough time, don’t miss these day trips from Zaragoza, you will love them!
Take a look at my Spain travel guide if you are going to visit other places in the country.
I hope this article about where to stay in Zaragoza has been very useful when planning your trip to the Aragonese capital. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or send me an email, see you next time!